Taylor Baker received two ears at Groote Schuur hospital in conjunction with the Fuchs foundation.
The whole procedure was made possible with help of 3D printing in the sense that we designed and manufactured a positioning device to accurately place the
prosthetic implants as well as the external prosthesis.
The procedure we followed:
• Convert CT scan of patient in order to create a 3D model that was used to plan the exact position of the auricular implants that will hold the external prosthesis.
• A 3D printed positioning device was used to place the implants
• After a 3 month healing period the implants were exposed in order to place the prosthetic ears.
• The same 3d printed device was utilised to take impressions of the fitting area where the ears will be located in order to ensure a precise fit.
• Dr. Cules van den Heever then used the impressions to cast silicone prosthetic ears that were colour matched to the patient’s skin tone.
• Check out our page for the video, or follow the story with the links below